Do I have a chance to compete in olympic tkd or be on high lvl black belt?

Discussion in 'General Taekwondo Discussions' started by Daria, Feb 26, 2017.

?

What do u think, do I still have a chance? Is it possible?

1. Yes.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Daria

Daria New Member

I am 16yr's old girl from Poland, I practice in olympic taekwondo class but as an beginner,
    because I am white belt for now. I want to go to advanced class after a year, and I have big chances to do that. And my goal is to be a olympic champion or at least one of the best black belts. I want to compete as much as I possibly can. Grand prix, Cups, Europe championships or world etc. I will add to my training fitness to be flexible as soon as I can and to have powerful kicks and good condition. I will train 7 times a week, one session on day for like 2 hours of tkd, and then I will go to fitness for 2/3 hours (5 times a week) to achieve my goals. Just honestly answer me tkd experts - do I still have a chance or should I leave this dream...? Forgot to say that I have individual teaching, so I have plenty of time, at least this whole year. Thank you in advice for all answers.

3. canadiankyosa

canadiankyosa Active Member

What is a "best" black belt? Keep in mind the over-training concept. Seven days a week of training can be good depending on what is done each day but 2-3 hours 5 days/week is, depending on what you consider it, unneeded "fitness" training. There are people who say they are going to the gym for three hours. There is no need to be at a gym for more than one hour. There is cadio training which is up to 20 minutes/day of high intensity (80% MHR) exercise and fat burning which is the previous for more than 20 minutes. If you are doing strength training, also, get Tom Kurz's book Stretching Scientifically, and the video for stretching and strength, Flexibility Express because most martial arts clubs have no clue as to proper routines for stretching and strength. Your TKD forms and light sparring can be a cardio workout and a warm-up to dynamic stretching (see Kurz's book for a breakdown of the methods of stretching) which is the primary stretch we need (ballet and gymnasts need static stretching). Keep in mind, also, stretching will NOT prevent injury. It only increases the range of motion and the point where and injury may occur (you can injure a muscle walking down the street or sleeping).

http://www.stadion.com/flexibility-express/

Flexibility training can be done anytime, anywhere with no warmup when done properly. For example, if watching tv or homework, etc just put your hands on a supporting object, to remove most body weight, and stretch until you feel tension. Hold this for over 30 seconds and up to 5+ ,minutes. The goal: to feel your muscles relax (which is what "stretching" really is). Do this for three reps anytime of the day.

Daria likes this.
  4. Daria

Daria New Member

Well, you helped me a lot, but I still don't know if I have a chance. And with this ''best black belt'' I meant very good fighter and practitioner. So if there's no sense to be at the gym more than one hour, then I will do cardio in fitness club and some strenght exercices. At home I will stretch and outside I will train kicks. Do you think that's a good idea? So 1 hour at gym 7 days/week, 15-45 minutes stretching 7 days/week and 1 or 2 hours tkd kicking outside 7 days/week depending what weather is outside.

5. canadiankyosa

To clarify what I mean by 2+ hours at a gym. Many of the people who go figure their strength and cardio has to take that long. It is a wrong assumption.

Basic breakdown

Monday, Wednesday, Friday:

* cardio for 20 minutes
    * dynamic stretching if you are going to do kicking or hyung/poomse practice there
    * for beginners: full body endurance strength training (light weight, high [email protected] sets w/30-60 second rest) (for 6 weeks)
    * static stretching

Or

The same routine but the strength training/stretching will be, for more experienced, to do the upper body these days
    and the lower body Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday (Sunday is a rest day) for 6 weeks.

Note, too, that strength training and static stretching of the same muscles on the same day is counter-productive. To do the splits, do a heavier static stretch on the upper body days and your off day. The passive light stretching I mentioned that can be done while doing tv or homework can be done 7 days a week.

Yes, the kicking and hyung can be done outside (especially if you are in an area with light or no winters) using, with light touch, tree branches/leaves for targets.

Others on here, I can assure you, will give their help with training tips. I still strongly suggest Tom Kurz's book (was under $10 on Amazon for the ebook) and video I mentioned (do not pay $99 U.S. for it, though)

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
    Daria likes this.
  6. Daria

Daria New Member

Thank you very much :)! U didn't said if I have a chance, but let's say I have because you giving me advices and what and when should I train :D So now I will get to work!

7. canadiankyosa

Note that I cannot honestly answer an unanswerable question about your having a chance which every person actually has. A great start is to learn the basics and then apply those, slowly, in the ring. Too many times, beginners are put in a situation and told to "just do". Our club has the students do all the kicks/strikes/forms lined up like bowing in. The instructors. except me, tell them to kick while we "correct". This is not teaching just as putting a person in to just spar is not teaching sparring.

Daria likes this.
  8. Daria

Daria New Member

I train in olympic tkd class but in beginners what is obvious, but after a year I want to go to advanced class and try my best, but now I will focus on basic forms, kicks etc. and most on flexibility, because it's very important. If you recognize Karol Robak, 19yr's old teenager who was in Rio you should have good word about my club because he's from there :). I should be fine, there are great coaches.

9. canadiankyosa

It is so sad the people call themselves "coaches" when they cannot even do a proper warm-up and cool-down. There is not requirement, in most places, for certification. Train hard, get the basics and you have the chance that anyone who trains hard can have. Good luck

Daria likes this.
  10. Finlay

Finlay Active Member

A martial arts student went to his teacher and said earnestly, “I am devoted to studying your martial system. How long will it take me to master it.”

The teacher’s reply was casual, “Ten years.” Impatiently, the student answered, “But I want to master it faster than that. I will work very hard. I will practice everyday, ten or more hours a day if I have to. How long will it take then?”

The teacher thought for a moment, “20 years.”

Daria, Rugratzz and canadiankyosa like this.
  11. Daria

Daria New Member

I understand what do you meant there. But I asked - Do I still have a chance to compete in olympics or world tournaments, my question wasnt' like this: Can I be a master of TKD in 3/4 years? But anyway nice speech there :).

12. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Member

If you are talented, then yes. It is late but not too late.

Daria likes this.