New Member, looking for quality Gi/Dobok

Discussion in 'General Taekwondo Discussions' started by Mike LaRosa, Apr 7, 2017.

1. Mike LaRosa

Mike LaRosa New Member

Afternoon,

As the title say's looking for a quality Gi or Dobok, I've not trained for almost 30 years :( (1st Dan in Kenpo and then Tae Kwon do) but the kids are in college and recently stumbled across a good Dojang so figured I'd give it a shot.

So happy I did :) I haven't felt this good in years..... and surprised how fast it's coming back....

Alas the Dobok, I'm not the 6-2 185 guy i used to be, more like 225 these days.....

The Dobok given in class is ok, but i need something with a little more room from the belt to the crotch....

Most in class are using the pullover style top and slip on elastic band waist, would like to stay with pullover but don't care about how the bottoms secure just that they fit better.... came across karatemart but sounds kinda cheesy.... I used to buy my equipment from century but have no clue if they are a good brand anymore ?

any help would be appreciated :)

Mike

3. canadiankyosa

canadiankyosa Active Member

I have two of the Century pants. They have a drawstring with a nice high (like boxer's shorts) elastic waist. Also, the material is heavy enough for my hapkido training but not too heavy for taekwondo. I paid $35 Canadian per pants.

Just a cultural/language note, too, on the use of "gi". In Japanese, "ki" (proper with no martial art name prefix) means the same as "boek" in Hangul. It means clothing. So, proper use is karategi, judogi, jujustsugi, aikidogi, etc. or, the proper use in general martial arts use: dogi. In Korean, you have hanbok (traditional Korean dress with vibrant colours and simple lines without pockets), kyoboek (school uniform), doeboek (martial arts clothing), and others.