Old master and sine wave

Discussion in 'General Taekwondo Discussions' started by Finlay, Jun 8, 2017.

1. Finlay

Finlay Active Member

First question

Is it possible to have a discussion on sine wave without people bashing it, calling it ineffective or pretending to know how General Choi personally felt about it.

Second question

How many of the old masters adopted sine wave in their teaching. I am specifically interested in GM Rhee. Him being known for his power breaks and also being close to the General.

I have seen breaking videos and he seems to favour hip twist (maybe just a little) I was wondering what he teaches

3. liquidcadmus

liquidcadmus New Member

people who talk negatively about stuff in martial arts are usually people who know nothing about the subject they are talking about.
    Sinewave makes scientific sense and it adds a lot of power to some movements if you do it properly.

in 90% of the world, all ITF dojangs use sinewave, just in some schools in the US, Canada and UK there's some teachers that don't teach sinewave, and also do the patterns in a very unusual way.
    I don't understand the reason they don't do it the way the General intended it to be done. maybe the teachers at the time couldn't master the sinewave and out of frustration decided to discard it altogether.

4. Matt

Matt Member

I have no knowledge on GM Rhee. I was taught under a Grandmaster from the US that trained in Korea with some fo their generals. He also has a background in Okinawan Karate, and some other ancient martial art. Therefore, we use both up and down sine wave as well as hip rotation.

5. liquidcadmus

liquidcadmus New Member

I didnt mean all dojangs in the USA dont use sinewave, just that many there don't for whatever reason.

6. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Member

I have corresponded with a former student of GM Rhee, who informed me that GM Rhee has failed students who did not perform Sine Wave pronounced enough.... So GM Rhee is on the radical spectrum when it comes to Sine Wave. Make no misstake about it:)

7. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Member

It varies. It depends on if they left the ITF before Sine Wave was implemented. Those that left before that time do not in fact teach Sine Wave for obvious reasons.

8. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Member

I should add that some departed post Sine Wave into independent organisation and still dropped Sine Wave. One being the late Park Jung Tae.

I hope this answers your question and you are very welcomed.

9. Finlay

Finlay Active Member

I guess it makes sense being so close to the General that he felt a loyalty to him

The video that got me questioning is this one

No matter what you think of the break, weak brick or what ever. He does just seem to get up there a wallop it with more hip twist than sine wave.

10. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

By a strange political turn of events FGMR is one of my great grandmasters. My first master, and his master, both learned waist twist in the sixties and seventies, rather than sine wave, which FGMR may have picked up later. All I can say is the early GB masters (led by FGMR) learned and taught waist twist back then.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

11. liquidcadmus

liquidcadmus New Member

I trained both methods. doesn't everyone? Im confused now..