Patterns are......

Discussion in 'Taekwondo Patterns' started by Finlay, Jun 8, 2017.

?

Patterns are

1. Movements that are directly applied, punches, blocks, double blocks

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Just a representation of movement and have no direct application

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Fight based including locks, throws, trips most of which have been forgotten

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Finlay

Finlay Active Member

OK I said patterns but poomse also included.

I am sometimes shocked by how some people see what patterns are. So I though I poll would be interesting.

Not sure how many people are visiting this forum now. But what the hey

3. Mario Ray Mahardhika

Mario Ray Mahardhika Active Member

Where does "sequence of basic movements" fit in? It's more like the first, but could also be the third.

4. Oerjan

Oerjan Active Member

My take it is that it contains realistic self defence and fighting techniques.

5. Matt

Matt Member

Well... I would check all three choices but that is not possible. I was always taught that patterns are a representation of "mach combat" or made up self defense. They don't necessarily tell you exactly what to do, but can be used as a basis. For example Chun Ji, no one would ever attack you from four directions. But, it does teach you to block and then punch over and over again.

6. Finlay

Finlay Active Member

Yes patterns are meant to be for self defence or combat... that would remove option 2

Then it is a question of whether a person agrees with the concept of a double block.. like San makgi. If a person does then it is option 1, if a person thinks that it is something else and double blocks and the likes are a misrepresentation of themovement then option 3.

There are some people that think that the movement could be both or have other applications. In which case I guess it would fall into option 2 since the options are so numerous to male the movement in the pattern irrelevant. Or a person would have to take a stand and follow the techniques they choose

7. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

Patterns are the conduit through which the truth of Taekwondo can be experienced. This means something different to every person, but the truth is the same.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk