Taekwondo & tech

Discussion in 'General Taekwondo Discussions' started by jan-eric wargelin, Jun 1, 2017.

1. jan-eric wargelin

jan-eric wargelin New Member

What do you guys think about technology and wearables brought to TKD training? The concept behind this wearable is to bring tools to the sport side of TKD. It's about identifying peak conditions, getting instant feedback, and to see the development on speed, strength, stamina etc.

3. Mario Ray Mahardhika

Mario Ray Mahardhika Active Member

That's cool! I can track my athletes' training progress with this.
    They don't seem to do any crowdfunding, eh? Wonder how the price will be, it's not written in the website.

4. jan-eric wargelin

Thank you for your kind words.

I am acutally one of the founders on the company, so we will begin Pre-Sales on June, and are looking at shipping before the end of the year. The price per unit wil be around 100$ and there will of course be kits for both feet with a price around 170$. By joining the pre-order mailing list on our site, you'll get discount when the pre-sales begin.

The app will be free. We'll also negotiate with any clubs on lower price for re-sell, or larger amounts.

This is a passion project for us, as we love TKD to the fullest. :)

5. John Hulslander

John Hulslander Active Member

One of my instructors sent me a link to their page.
    IMO this is early in this technology. Before I go on, let me preface:
    I am not pooh poohing this technology.
    I am not saying it is worthless.

What I am saying is this is realy early in the life cycle for this technology. Kind of like electronic scoring. It seems to me this primarily measures speed and acceleration. Things it cannot look at is technique, balance, etc.... I am not saying it can't or won't get there, just that it isn't there yet.

I think with a good adoption here, it will get better. But it will take time and money.

There are other tech items that are coming up as well. In another tech themed thread, I talked about 2020 Armor. I like what they present and where they are going. (linked) I would love to see this kind of tech somehow integrated into a dobok so we can fight without hogus and have a good scoring system that accounts not only for when a hit is scored, but the quality of that hit.

https://www.2020armor.com/

And then there is this silly bit of tech. (the TKD treadmill)

6. jan-eric wargelin

Hello sir!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, we at Kick.ai value open dialogue with fellow Martial Artists. I do agree on you wholeheartedly on the fact that more needs to be measured on athlete, in order to get the full picture.

Our mission is to be the platform of data for Martial Artists and this is our first venture into that world. In addition to your mentioned balance and technique there is so much to be measured, for example muscle tension, sleep quality etc. These are vital in identifying peak conditions and preventing injuries on athletes. Our first product will be much more than just being an app that tells you how fast you kicked. We are developing algorithms that learn from you training and start creating unique value to the user. 2020 guys are friends of ours, so good to hear you find their product interesting. It's true that these are the first steps on the technology, but the fact is that it needs to start now, or else the sport we love will miss out.

Hope to have shed a little light to what we at Kick.ai stand for.

7. John Hulslander

Good luck, and remember. I look forward to seeing what you can do. I am considering getting in on the kickstarter.

Words of wisdom from Goethe.

Aller anfang sind schwer.
    (All beginnings are difficult)

This is especially true in the business world.

8. jan-eric wargelin

Thank you sir, and hope to see you on our waiting list. Take care, and keep on representing Martial arts. OSU!

9. John Hulslander

Am on the list.
    Any connection to OSU?
    Here is an OSU football/TKD tie. Michael Jordan plays on the offensive line for tOSU. He is a TKD black belt.
    I would love to see him in our dojang. I mean he is 6' 3 or so and 300 pounds or so and a high end athlete. How awesome.

10. jan-eric wargelin

Hi, no connection though. Just used OSU as age old Karate cheer. :) Had to google that guy and damn he must have some power in his kicks.

John Hulslander likes this.